Submit records to the National Mammal Atlas

Mammals are difficult to record, resulting in patchy, out of date information and a lack of current data to tell us where mammals are or how well they're doing, which hinders conservation progress. The National Mammal Atlas Project (NMAP) aims to produce the first atlas in over 20 years to present vital new baseline distribution data, which will be continually updated through ongoing monitoring. See the Q&A below for more information on where records go and who we share data with.

Atlas update: We are now processing all of the fantastic sightings submitted. Only those records of mammals recorded on or before the 31st December 2015 will be included in the National Mammal Atlas, however please keep sending in your records using our Mammal Tracker App or via the links below. Your records will still be used in vital mammal monitoring projects across the UK.



New App to record mammals when you're out and about! 

Submit records wherever you are with our new NATIONAL free app Mammal Tracker, funded by HLF as part of our MaWSE project. Download it:




Atlas Latest

We have a dataset of over 43000 records live and open to the public on the NBN website! This huge dataset earned the Mammal Society the John Sawyer NBN Open Data Award at the 2015 NBN Awards, a testament to the dedication of the many people who have sent in their sightings. 

See species records here with interactive maps, in which you can toggle the display to change which recordsets are displayed and date-range, to identify gaps and focus recording efforts. 



We need recent mammal distribution data, to track changes in range or detect declines as they are happening, and advise conservation plans that mitigate threats and help vulnerable populations.

Focus on: Chinese water deer (Hydropotes inermis)

All records 1900-2014 

All records 2000-2014

NMAP records 2010-2014

These maps are courtesy of the NBN Gateway and include information from a large number of data providers, details of which can be found on the NBN Gateway at The NBN and its data contributors bear no responsibility for the further analysis or interpretation of this material, data and/or information. © Crown copyright and database rights 2011 Ordnance Survey [100017955]


What happens to my records submitted online?

Your records, once submitted to our online form, are stored with the Biological Records Centre's (BRC) iRecord database, where they are verified for accuracy.

BRC then upload them to our National Biodiversity Network (NBN) dataset, to add to existing records and other sets on NBN. 

All records submitted to us are added to all records held with the BRC and NBN to enrich mammal data that will support research and decision-making at local and national levels.

What is the Biological Recording Centre and iRecord? How does NMAP fit in?

The Biological Records Centre (BRC), established in 1964, is a national focus in the UK for all species recording, working closely with the voluntary recording community, supporting national recording schemes and societies, of which we are one for mammal recording. The work of BRC is a major component of the NBNs collection of national data. The National Mammal Atlas is a mammal recording scheme that contributes records to this system.

The BRC's iRecord database is a platform to make it easier for general wildlife sightings to be collated, checked by experts and made available. We use this system to store all records submitted to NMAP (through our online form & app), so our verifiers can check them for accuracy. Once this has been done, this dataset is uploaded to the NBN to add to all mammal data submitted by various recording schemes.

What if I have submitted records elsewhere?

The vast majority of mammal records submitted to local record centres (LRCs), local recording schemes and local mammal groups will also be uploaded to the NBN (sometimes via iRecord, sometimes directly). If you have submitted records to a scheme that you know shares data with the BRC (including iRecord) or NBN, you don't need to submit them to us too. It is rare to find a group who keep records to themselves, as they are usually either dedicated Local Record Centres, or based at the Local Authority or Wildlife Trusts. County mammal recorders are also usually associated with these organisations.

Our online and app-based recording platforms are designed simply to create a dedicated mammal recording service to add to and enrich the data submitted via these other routes and make it easier for poeple to find a place to record mammals.

What if I can not identify what I have seen? 

If you can not ID what you've seen, and have a photo, visit iSpot, where a community of mammal experts can provide an identification for you. iSpot will send your record to us for inclusion in the atlas.

You can also ask your local County Mammal Recorder, who will be a local expert and can discuss your sighting with you and tell you what you are likely to have seen. Many CMRs are also verifiers of records for NMAP.

Where can I find my local record centre?

There are record centres covering nearly every county in the British Isles. LRCs across Great Britain are coordinated through ALERC (the Association of Local Environmental Record Centres), BRISC lists LRCs in Scotland, LRCWales lists those in Wales, and CEDaR is the recording centre for Northern Ireland.

What if I have large numbers of records to submit?

Large record sets can be submitted directly to and will be uploaded by BRC. They can be sent in any form, ideally digitalised.   

How does The Mammal Society work with others to monitor mammals?

The Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) is a public body of 24 partner conservation organisations, co-ordinated under DEFRA that advises the Government on UK and international nature conservation.

The JNCC established the Tracking Mammals Partnership (TMP) in 2005 to improve the quality, quantity and dissemination of information on the status of mammal species. While the TMP is less active, The Mammal Society has taken the lead in ensuring more mammal information will be openly available through the development of the National Mammal Atlas Project.