What We Do
Established in 1954, The Mammal Society is a charity advocating science-led mammal conservation, leading efforts to collect and share information on mammals, encourage research to learn more about their ecology, distribution and contribute meaningfully to efforts to conserve them.
We support an ever-growing network of experts and enthusiasts all working to survey, monitor, research and conserve mammals, learn more about them and secure their future in the British Isles & Ireland. They are monitoring mammals, submitting records, sharing results of new research, developing skills on training courses, networking and working together, and through The Mammal Society are the national voice campaigning for conservation that benefits mammals.
Our aims are to:
- Raise public awareness of mammals, their ecology and conservation needs
- Encourage people to effectively participate in mammal monitoring and recording
- Develop the knowledge and field skills of those working for mammals
- Encourage and disseminate the results of research and new information
- Provide up-to-date, reliable information and science-led advice to advocate effective conservation policy